Thursday, September 26, 2013

Germany Part 1 - Touring Muenster

From 9/20 to 10/4, I am in Germany for work. Brooks has an office in Muenster, Germany and I came over for two weeks to gather requirements for a project to move the office to a new ERP system. In the evenings my co-worker Rebecca and I have been able to tour around the city a little bit. It has been very nice and everyone here has been super accomodating. Almost everyone speaks english and if they don't, they are still willing to stop and try to help you which has been amazing. 
 
It was quite a trip to get here. We left on Friday 9/20 at 6pm Pacific time and landed in Amsterdam roughly nine hours later at 1pm Saturday 9/21. We then had a 3 hour layover in Amsterdam before boarding our flight to Dusseldorf Germany, only a one hour flight. Upon arriving in Dusseldorf we had to take a sky train (sort of like a monorail but instead it hangs from the track) to the train station, buy a ticket to Muenster, and then take a 1.5 hour train ride to Muenster. Once in Muenster (around 9:30pm) we had to get off the train and walk about a quarter mile to our hotel...of course we didn't know where that was so we had to ask for help but we made it just fine.
 
In addition to the pictures you see below we have also done a few things that were not photographed. One night Rebecca and I ran to a nearby lake....I'm going to guess it was about 2 miles one way. I ran the entire way there and was quite proud of myself. Then I walked/ran the way back. We ran on a very beautiful trail lined and covered with trees. I'll try to take a picture another night. We also accompanied our German co-worker to the gym on Wednesday night and did 30 minutes on the elliptical, one hour of Zumba, and another 30 minutes of circuit training in a group. 2 HOURS AT THE GYM. :) It was awesome. I had a lot of fun, but was definitely tired at the end. We've also enjoyed some nice German restaurants, and a few Italian as well. There is a large Italian presence here in terms of food. Anyways...enjoy the photos and I'll continue to try to post while I am here.
 
Dusseldorf Train Station waiting to go to Muenster.



Rebecca and I waiting for our train.

Our hotel room. Two twin beds. :)

St. Lambert's Church. There are cages at the very top that they used to have bodies of anabaptists in back in like the 1600's or something like that.

You can see the cages there above the clock.

Traditional German restaurant. Marion on the left lives here (Our Brooks co-worker from the Muenster office) and she ordered for us. I don't know what all the names of the foods are but they were all very good.

Another traditional German restaurant...reminds me of Bavaria (and our Leavenworth).

Another beautiful Church

An old castle that they now have classes in for Muenster University.

City Center

Slides inside stores. Very fun. I rode down this one.

Another slide in a store.

Behind that curtain is the ladies restroom. Very funny. There is a real door behind that too.

This is a cute dress that I wanted to buy Charlotte but they don't take Visa, only cash or local cash cards....so I thought a picture was second best.

Another beautiful church. It has a flat roof because they used to put canon's on top back in the 1600's as they fought the other church not far away.



Pretty statue on a local canal that we walked by.

No comments:

Post a Comment